• Moderator: Tom Puhr
• Level: Middle School
• Days: Monday/Wednesday
Need some extra help with an essay or other English/Language Arts assignment? Mr. Puhr, English and Language Arts teacher for grades 6-8, will provide both individual and group assistance in a relaxed and enjoyable setting. Additional help will be available after school, but no new work (besides homework, of course!) will be assigned. This club is a great opportunity to further develop a variety of English-related skills. Both domestic and international students are encouraged to join!
Help topics include:
● Conducting reliable and accurate research
● Structuring an essay properly (intro, body, conclusion)
● Backing up writing with clear examples
● Improving writing style and sentence structure
● Reviewing fundamental topics, such as the parts of speech
● Determining how to condense material into short, simple notes
● Learning how to listen while also writing “the essentials”
● Looking “below the surface” of a text to find its deeper meaning
● Annotating a text in order to better concentrate on a reading
● Organizing and memorizing an oral presentation
● Practicing a speech in order to follow time restraints, eye contact, etc.