MISSION & PHILOSOPHY
As a member of the Illinois High School Association and the Independent School League, Northridge Prep offers interscholastic cross-country, golf, soccer, basketball, baseball, and track and field.
Our mission in high school athletics is to:
1. Use sports as a means to develop a complete and integral understanding of Christian manhood. Beyond winning games and championships, the Northridge athletic program seeks to build men of integrity and virtue. We gauge athletic achievement, individual and collective, not on the outcome of games alone, but on the quality of our teamwork, commitment, sportsmanship, responsibility, work ethic, perseverance, and leadership. Northridge athletes and coaches strive to “be more” and not simply to “win more.” The Northridge athletic program exists to help young men learn life lessons that will contribute to their success in college and adult years.
2. Represent Northridge in a first-class fashion at all times. Northridge coaches are teachers first and foremost. We set the tone for sportsmanship, fair play, respect for our sport, the opponent’s team and their coaches, fans, and referees. Although Northridge teams strive for excellence on the playing field and are characterized by their indefatigable, competitive spirit, they also endeavor to handle themselves humbly in victory and graciously in defeat.
3. Develop a positive team atmosphere where success is possible. We believe that success in athletics is a journey and not a destination. As such, Northridge coaches actively seek to create an environment where cooperation, service, trust, and respect are prevalent among all teammates. We believe outscoring an opponent on the scoreboard is important only to the extent that a group of young men and their coaches become a cohesive unit.
4. Help each individual athlete reach his maximum potential in his sport. Northridge coaches are committed to helping each athlete make the most of his God-given talents and abilities. Practices and workout sessions are designed with the teaching of skill execution and development of fundamental soundness foremost in mind. Northridge athletes have performed at high levels of competition and earned all-conference and all-state honors in a variety of sports.
5. Serve as a catalyst for school spirit. Our athletic teams build an enthusiastic base of support from fellow students, parents, alumni, and friends of our school, which engenders pride in and loyalty to Northridge Prep.